Chicken – the affordable, healthy protein option
Healthy, affordable and versatile, chicken has been a popular part of our diet for thousands of years.
Why is chicken so popular?
- Chicken is a lean meat
- Chicken typically contains fewer calories per portion, compared to beef, lamb, pork and duck
- It’s a natural source of energy that makes you feel fuller for longer
- It’s a very tender, soft meat with a subtle flavour, so it’s a great choice for young children who need a good source of protein to help them to grow
- It’s a great source of protein
- For muscle growth and maintenance
- To support healthy bones
It contains essential vitamins and minerals
- Vitamin B3 (niacin) can help keep our metabolism in shape, can help our nervous system to function and can help to reduce tiredness
- Vitamin B6 is one of the main vitamins in chicken and, like niacin, it also helps to keep our metabolism, nervous system and immune system healthy
- Phosphorus - this mineral helps to look after our bones and teeth as well as playing a part in our metabolism
Chicken has a low carbon footprint
Not only does chicken taste good, and do you good, but it’s the least environmentally unfriendly of all of the meat proteins in terms of its carbon footprint. *Cows release the equivalent of 16kg of carbon dioxide for every kilo of meat they produce, sheep produce 13kg of CO2, whereas chickens are responsible for only 4.4kg of CO2 per kilo of meat. Not only does chicken produce the least greenhouse gas emissions of the most popular types of meat, but it produces less overall emissions during each phase of production, processing, and cooking.
Nutritional information per 100g
Light meat (breast fillet and wings) and dark meat (leg meat) in bold
Energy: 106 Kcal/449kJ / 109 Kcal/459kJ
Protein: 24g / 20.9g
Carbohydrates: 0g / 0g
Of which sugars: 0g / 0g
Fat: 1.1g / 2.8g
Of which saturates: 0.3g / 0.8g
Fibre: 0g / 0g
Sodium: 60mg / 90mg
Recipe and Cooking advice
For recipe inspiration and advice about preparing and cooking our chicken, head to our recipe and food safety pages
GRAIN FED CHICKEN
Our Great Taste award winning standard, grain fed chickens are reared in light, airy barns and enjoy a nutritious diet using Yorkshire grown wheat.
FREE RANGE CHICKEN
Our Great Taste award winning free range chickens enjoy a nutritious diet supplemented with grubs and bugs that they find in the pasture.
We work with a network of trusted suppliers so that we can offer you other quality poultry products in addition to our chicken.
Got a question? Get in touch
Please use the form below to contact us and let us know how you heard about us from the drop down list